With so many cosmetic procedures being focused on reducing the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging, rhinoplasty provides a way to completely change the appearance of the most prominent feature of the face – the nose.
What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is a form of cosmetic surgery that’s used to re-shape and alter the length of the nose. The nose provides balance to the face and for many people, the size and shape of their nose makes them feel self-conscious, whether it’s because they think their nose is too wide, too long or misshapen.
Rhinoplasty must be performed by a fully qualified plastic surgeon, since it requires a good deal of skill and experience in order to be done successfully. People from all walks of life choose to get rhinoplasty so it isn’t limited to one sex or age bracket.
Who Can Benefit From Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is usually performed either for cosmetic or medical reasons; sometimes a combination of the two.
Below are some of the most common reasons people get rhinoplasty surgery-
- There is difficulty breathing due to the shape of the nose or as a result of the nose being broken
- The patient is unhappy with the size or shape of their nose
- Sinus problems as the result of a deviated septum
- The appearance of the nose is causing the patient emotional distress, such as low self-esteem or anxiety.
Rhinoplasty surgery can be used to alter the nose in several ways. Some of the ways rhinoplasty can alter the structure of the nose include –
- Reshaping the nostrils
- Reshaping the tip of the nose
- Adjusting the nose to assist with more comfortable breathing
- Altering the length of the nose
- Altering the width of the nose
- Altering the appearance of the bridge of the nose
Whether you’re self-conscious about the appearance of your nose or you’re having trouble breathing, whether because of the natural shape of your nose or because of an injury – Rhinoplasty provides a way to get the nose you want.
There are limits to what can be achieved with rhinoplasty although most patients find they’re very satisfied with the results of their surgery and are able to achieve the nose they desire. A typical procedures takes between 90-180 minutes to perform.
Next – Rhinoplasty Guide – Part 2